After you arrive: Life at NYU and Shanghai
Computer related issues
First check out the official NYU Shanghai IT page. This may solve most of your problems.
Matlab and Mathematica
Matlab is installed on the desktops in our room 1265. Or you can install it on your computer with a NYU netID from here. To do this, first create an account using your NYU email, and this should provide you with a license. You can then download it onto your computer.
Mathematica can be obtained from the IT department, simply take your computer there and they will install it.
Finance related issues (e.g. fapiaos)
For reimbursement issues, you need to contact Faculty Services, who are located in Room 1323. Currently, Bella Wu (email@example.com) is helping with our issues.
Internet and WIFI
If you are here short term, the simplest way is to use the “nyuguest” wifi available through the NYU building. The ID and password for this changes every week and can be obtained by going to Room 1030. They have a sign with this printed out on the help desk.
If you are here for a longer time, then its best to get a NYU netID, which will allow you to connect to the “nyu” wifi network. Ask Tim to get an account.
See here for information regarding VPN.
High Performance computing
We have access to the high performance computing facilities at NYU, so for more computationally demanding projects you will be using these facilities. Click the link to find out more information and to get access to these machines. You will need a netID.
Accessing your Chinese bank account after you leave
After you leave China, you may find that you need to access the money in your bank account. Depending on your country and particular situation, you may need to make plans beforehand.
1) Withdraw out of overseas ATMs
You should be able to access your Chinese bank account in most cases using your card by simply using an ATM. What you need is a China Union Pay (CUP) compatible ATM, which you can check will be in your destination country here. You should however be aware of the annual limits that you can withdraw cash using this method is RMB100,000/year. The daily limit is RMB 10,000. If you exceed RMB 100,000 then your card will be barred from using overseas ATMs for the current and next year i.e. between 1-2 years.
The fees for withdrawing depends upon your bank. There are two fees, one for the ATM that you are taking the money out, and also fees on the Chinese bank side. The fees for the Chinese banks are for example:
ICBC, ABC bank: 1% of the converted RMB amount plus a 12 RMB flat fee.
CMB bank: 0.5% of the converted RMB amount. No flat fee.
SPD bank: Flat fee of 18 RMB regardless of amount.
The converted RMB amount will be = (ATM fee on receiving side+withdrawal amount )* conversion rate.
2) Wechat/Alipay/Internet banking
If you set up internet banking, of course you should be able to control your money by making a deposit (into another Chinese bank). The internet banking interfaces are usually not really easy to use, so connecting your Wechat account with your bank account is an easier route to transfer money. The Wechat transfer can also be done from overseas, so if you need to repay anyone, it can be done in this way.
Your Chinese bank account can be connected to your Paypal account, which can in turn be connected to your overseas account.
If you have a bitcoin account, you can of course use this anywhere
Health and Wellness issues
If you need further information on mental health issue, sexual misconduct issue, disability issue, and assistance with diversity and inclusion, please see here.
Setting up the printer
Connect to the printers according to the following steps (Windows)
1) You will first need to be at NYU or be connected to NYU for this to work. Type “\nyush006-wps-v.shanghai.nyu.edu” into a file browser
2) A username and password prompt will come up. Enter “shanghaitmb5” for the ID and ask Tim for the password. After the connection is established, a window like below should appear:
3) Go to “Control Panel” and “Add Printer”. Enter the dialogue to add a network printer. Manually enter the shared printer name “\nyush006-wps-v.shanghai.nyu.eduNYUSH-PudongCampus-PRINTERS”. This should initiate the printer installation. This completes the printer installation on your computer.
Printing a document
1) To print a particular file, go to File->Print as usual, and choose the “\nyush006-wps-v.shanghai.nyu.eduNYUSH-PudongCampus-PRINTERS”.
2) The file is now sent to the printer. To initiate the printing, go to any of the 16 Ricoh printers that are on campus, and enter the 6-digit printing code. (Get the printing code from Tim).
IMPORTANT: Printing costs the group money! Black&White 0.09 RMB/page, Color 1.6 RMB/page. So please don’t go crazy and start printing huge quantities.
3) For more detailed information, look at this reference:
Scanning is done using the Ricoh multifunction printers that are distributed around the building. Instructions on how to scan our described in the printed guides near the Ricoh printers. In what they suggest, your scan your document and email it to yourself. This is fine if you are only scanning a few documents but if you are a scanning fiend such as myself, you will end up emailing GBs of data to yourself which is not always desirable. Here is an alternative:
1) Put in the printer code and press “Scanner” to the left of the control panel.
2) On the top of the scanning screen press “store file”. This will take you to another screen so select “store to HDD”, and choose your folder to store your file to. If you don’t have a folder, create one.
3) Press Ok to return to the main scanning menu and scan your document with whatever settings you like.
4) To download your file, go to your computer and type the IP address of the printer into the URL of your browser. For the printer outside my office on the 11th floor, this is http://192.168.52.101/.
5) Go to “Print Job/Stored File”->”Document Server”. From here you will see your file and this can be downloaded. Done!
To find the IP address of the printer (if you are using another printer for example):
1) Log in with your printer code
2) Press the 用戸工具 button on the right side of the control panel to go into the User Tools menu.
3) Go to “System Settings”->”Interface Settings”. Press the “Machine IPv4 Address” button. This will display another page listing the “Machine IPv4 Address” which is the IP address that should be used above.